Sometimes you just feel blah.
And a lot of those times, it happens during colder months. Winter can wreck havok on our emotions, and most of the time we don’t even realize it. We just know that we feel sluggish and uninspired.
Because our bodies aren’t getting as much sunlight in the fall and winter, our seratonin levels (the happy hormones) drop which can affect our mood, appetite and even our sleep patterns, causing us to hibernate and refuse to surface except for the pizza delivery guy. So, since fall is upon us, we thought this was the perfect time to share our best tips.
We’re not doomed to spending winters miserable, though! Don’t raise the red flag yet. There are lots of simple hacks you can implement to feel better.
Here are 10 simple ways to spark joy and start to crawl out of that slump you’re in:
1) Treat yourself to some bright coloured, fresh flowers. Yellows and greens help promote happy vibes, so go for the sunniest daisies you can find!
2) Get out of your normal routine. Instead of coming home from work and immediately plopping down on the couch, plan to meet a friend for happy hour. Or go out for a Tuesday night bowling tournament with your goofiest buddies!
3) Tidy up. Or even splurge and hire a house cleaner! There’s nothing like a dirty, messy house to make you feel down and out.
4) Start sniffing. Our sense of smell often gets ignored but can have a big impact on our moods! Create your own room spray or diffuse some citrus essential oils for an uplifting effect.
5) Allow yourself to feel like a queen. While we don’t want you hibernating the rest of the winter, we do want you to indulge a little. Treat yourself to some new, luxurious-feeling sheets or bath towels! It’s amazing how little details like plush towels can make a difference in your normal, everyday routines.
6) Do something nice. Nothing boosts our moods like making someone else smile. Surprise your coworker with flowers, buy the next person in line a coffee, bake your spouse to their favourite desert. You’ll feel great no matter what you choose to do.
7) Buy a new piece of art for your workspace. Reds and violets tend to give off energetic vibes so keep that in mind while shopping for your new print.
8) Go for a walk. I know, I know. It’s cold out, and that would mean you getting off the couch. But trust us, when you actually get outdoors and breathe in the crisp air, you’ll feel better immediately. Whether you’re gone 10 minutes or an hour, you’ll come back home feeling refreshed and ready to make the most of your day.
9) Get thankful! This is a great time to start a gratitude practice. To start, simply write down at least 10 things you’re grateful for. Do this once a day to put life into perspective and start to appreciate the small things that often get overlooked.
10) Make this smoothie! Why? Because it contains lots of feel-good ingredients! Pineapple contains the B vitamin Thiamin which gives you an energy boost; spinach contains folic acid which boosts your mood; and avocado contains seratonin, the feel-good neurotransmitter.
- ¾ cup water
- 2 cups frozen pineapple chunks thawed
- 1 medium ripe avocado halved and pitted
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ cup ice cubes
Recipe from Culinary Hill
Wanna know what else boosts your mood and helps cure the blahs? Surrounding yourself with positive, like-minded people!
Enrollment for Spark Your Inner Leaderista is NOW OPEN and we would be honoured to have you join us!
Click here to find out what this 8-week program is all about and how it will help you live the life you’re craving for.
We want to know what tip you’re going to try first! Please comment below and let us know.
Have a wonderful day!
Janna & Jo-Ann